Tuesday, November 3, 2009

“Before I Lived in Africa, I Never…”

…made brownies from scratch because there aren’t any box mixes.
…prayed about getting online and actually having to trust that God and God alone could make the dial-up connection work – and He did!
… used my vacuum cleaner to sweep up the nightly slaughter of bugs.
… had a padlock on my front door (everyone has a padlock on their front door).
… went so long without watching TV.
… read so many books in so little time (most because of the former point).
… played FreeCell (this started as mostly something to do while waiting to get online, but has now grown to any time I’m waiting for anything).
… bought phone minutes from a guy on the street wearing a bright yellow MTN vest.
… bought phone minutes at all, for that matter.
… washed clothes by hand in my bathtub (only once a while, not an every day occurance).
… drove on the left side of the road and the right side of the car.
… made apple pie crust without a food processor.
… spoke siSwati.
… had church for three hours on Sunday morning.
… got to see the Southern Cross in the sky at night.
… saw the beautiful purple blooms of a jacaranda tree all over the landscape.
… learned to love SKYPE so much!

2 comments:

  1. I miss the things that we Americans thinks we can not do without but Africans don't know a lot about. I do NOT miss the bugs. Sorry we didn't tell you about them. Was afraid you would not want to go, but the bugs will pass in time. Have a great week. We really do miss Sweaziland and hope to be able to come with the March 2010 team. Praying for you, Will & Karis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brent and Michaele I am always praying for the two of you so keep up the good work.
    From,
    The Raptor
    WE ARE THE ULTIMATE ALLIANCE!

    ReplyDelete